- 8oz package of whole FunGuy white button mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 1 large avocado, diced (optional)
- Fresh Cilantro (optional)
- 1 lemon or lime (optional)
Trying for a healthy new year doesn’t mean giving up all you most loved foods!
Take this healthy vegan chili for instance. It has a wealth of healthy vegetables, black beans, and a whole bunch of delicious FunGuy mushrooms instead of meat.
A warm bowl of this and the carnivore in you won’t be missing a thing!
- Brush off any debris from the FunGuy mushrooms with a damp cloth. Pop out the stem using your thumb and/or a small teaspoon to remove any leftover bits and finely mince the stems and set aside. Cut the mushroom caps into quarters and set aside separate from the stems.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add in the onion and garlic, cooking 2 minutes. Next add in the mushroom stems, bell pepper, and salt stirring well to coat with the olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms and peppers are tender, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Add in the paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and cocoa powder and stir, allowing it to cook 2 minutes. Stir in the mushroom quarters, tomatoes, black beans, bay leaf, and just enough water to cover everything.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and partially cover with a lid. Allow the chili to cook about 30-40 minutes or until the water has reduced and any liquid has become a little bit thick and the beans are tender. Make sure to stir occasionally so that nothing sticks to the bottom, adding a little water if necessary.
- Once cooked, taste the chili, add salt as needed and remove the bay leaf.
- Serve with a squirt of lemon/lime juice, fresh cilantro and diced avocado on top!
Have a Fun meal!