- 8oz package of whole FunGuy white button mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 premade pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
Feeling a little peckish, but don’t know what to grab to satisfy those hunger pangs? Put down those chips and dip and whip up a batch of these vegetarian patties instead!
Inspired by Jamaican beef patties but made more fun with FunGuy mushrooms, this recipe makes enough for that immediate snack attack plus enough to put away for later.
Not to mention they will have everyone saying Jamaican me hungry!
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush off any debris from the FunGuy mushrooms with a damp towel and finely chop them on a cutting board. Peel the onions and garlic and mince them.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add in the onion and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms, thyme, allspice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Cook another 5-6 minutes or until the mushrooms are lightly browned and tender. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Spread out the pie crusts and cut as many 3-4 inch circles as possible, placing them on the prepared baking sheet. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the mushroom mixture onto each circle, keeping the filling from the edges. Wet the edges of the dough and fold it over to make a half circle, pressing the edges together. Use the tines of a fork to seal each patty by pressing down along the edge. Prick the top of each patty once to let steam escape as they bake. Repeat with the rest of the filling and dough. If there is left over dough and filling gather up the dough scraps and roll them out and fill them in the same way.
- Beat the egg and the teaspoon of water with a fork and brush the tops of each patty with the mixture.
- Bake the patties in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove the patties from the oven and allow them to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature and are easy to freeze and reheat later.
Have a Fun meal!