- 8oz package of whole FunGuy white button mushrooms
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into pieces
- 18 oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig of rosemary, stem removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rosemary flowers (optional)
Soup season is here and nothing makes a better pot of comfort than the FunGuy!
This soup is truly special in that it roasts most of the ingredients, including the mushrooms, to bring out their rich and earthy flavors before turning them into a delicious and healthy soup.
A bowl of this will satisfy even the chilliest of people from head to toe!
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Brush off any debris from the FunGuy mushrooms with a damp towel and place all but 4 or 5 on the baking sheet. Slice the other mushrooms on cutting board and set aside. Peel the onions, trim off the root end and cut them in half. Wash the carrots, trim the ends, and cut into large chunks and place both the carrots and the onions on the baking sheet with the mushrooms. Trim the root end of the garlic head and wrap it in foil and place it also on the baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet into the oven and allow the mushrooms and vegetables to roast about 25-30 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the garlic and mushrooms are very fragrant.
- Once the mushrooms and vegetables are roasted, remove them from the oven and put them into a large soup pot. Unwrap the garlic and squeeze the garlic out from the skins into the pot.
- Add the broccoli and beans to the soup pot. Pour in the chicken broth and add in the rosemary and bay leaves. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium low and allow it to simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup and discard before using an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Alternatively, add the soup a few cups at a time to a blender and blend until smooth, returning the soup to the pot and stirring well. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium high heat. Add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté until browned.
- Serve the soup hot with sliced mushrooms and rosemary flowers on top.
Have a Fun meal!