- 1 steak: whatever you like best! (Maybe a nicely marbled Hanger steak or a New York Strip)
- 10 oz package of FunGuy Mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced thinly—almost shaved into slices
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 cube of chicken bouillon
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 glass of red wine (a nice ’98 "chateau neuf de papes" or, you know, whatever box you’ve got in the fridge)
Steak is the go-to dish for impressing friends, but a steak without a robust topping is naked and embarrassing. Don’t just impress your friends with some red meat. Blow their minds by topping steak with sautéed FunGuy Mushrooms. You don’t even have to use steak. You can pour this delicious topping over an omelet, a nice thick hunk of toasted olive bread, or just eat it with your hands. It’s that good.
- Put that meat out on a plate and let it get to room temp.
- Taste your wine
- Pour 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil into a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat it up then toss in half the butter. Let the butter foam out, then gently, GENTLY lay your steak into the pan on a vertical, on the edge with all the fat. Yes, you are cooking the fatty edge of your steak first. Yes, it looks weird. If anyone says anything, remember: you’ve got a knife.
- Let that fatty edge sizzle—way longer than you want to. We can’t say exactly how long because every steak is different, but about 1 minute should do the trick. You want the beginnings of a nice brown crisp on the fat.
- Try that wine again.
- Now pick up the steak and GENTLY lay it down into the sizzling butter. Cook it according to your favorite “doneness.”
- After the steak is right, pull it; lay it in a plate and LET IT REST. Don’t touch it. Don’t cut it. Just let it sit there while you cook the mushrooms.
The FunGuy Mushroom Topping:
- While the pan is still hot, pour in another tablespoon of olive oil and the rest of the butter.
- Drink more wine.
- Stir in your sliced FunGuy Mushrooms slowly and gently to coat with the butter and olive oil.
- Mash in the bullion and stir to mix it in.
- Sweat the mushrooms until their volume has decreased by half or more. Stir slowly and gently and keep coating them all in their liquids. (If you like them plump, stop now.)
- Once the mushrooms are nice and golden brown, truly wonderful and beautiful the way mushrooms should be, pour in a little of that red wine—just a splash! Roll those mushrooms around to coat them with the wine. Drink the rest.
- At this point your guests will noisily be pushing their way into your kitchen, drawn irresistibly by the impossibly delectable bouquet of sautéed FunGuy Mushrooms.
- GET RID OF THEM! You’re cooking here, man! Refill your wine glass.
- Pour the hot steaming mushrooms over the steak.
- Take a little test bite of the mushroom topping.
- Oh. Em. Gee. That’s amazing! Eat more.
- Wait, weren’t you cooking for someone?
- Steal more mushrooms before they get there.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Photo by jeffreyw